C E L E B R A T E
Christmas in the Villages
Nov. 29-Dec. 31
> Villages of Van Buren
Nestled in the northwest portion of the county on opposite sides of the river are the "Twin Cities" of Douds and Leando. Leando lies on the south bank and was originally called Portland when settled in the 1830s.
Douds was platted about 30 years later by Eliab and David Doud who stipulated at that time there be no buying or selling of intoxicating liquors in the town. Up until the building of the first iron river bridge (1898), the two towns saw much rivalry. More history...
Now regarded as one community, Douds is noted for its annual Field Days, and its tremendous stone quarry, one of the largest underground mines in the state.
Douds/Leando are unincorporated and fall under the jurisdiction of Van Buren County. They have no official "city government".
Annual Community Events
- Douds-Leando School Alumni - Last Friday/Saturday in June. Everyone Welcome!
- Douds Field Day - Last Saturday in June. Parade, Games, Shows.
- Pancake Day - 2nd Saturday in November. All you can eat at one sitting!
City Offices & Facilities
- Fire-First Responders - 911 or 319-293-3426
- Senior Center - (641) 936-4711
- Van Buren Elementary School - (641) 936-4321
Additional demographic information
2015 Visitors Guide
Available in January