> Villages of Van Buren
Van Buren's youngest village just turned one hundred in 1987. The community is located in the northeast corner of the county and is known for its flags and beautiful county park.
For those who are stirred by the sight of flags, Stockport has not one, not two, but 285 of them flying on four different occasions each year, weather permitting. Those days are Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day and Veterans Day. Come and see the "Avenue of Flags."
Nearby to the northeast is Morris Park. Remote and quiet, it is a camping retreat for those seeking refuge from the crowding and noise of tourist traps. It also features historic buildings with relics on display as well as a stocked pond.
More Stockport history
Annual Community Events
- Stockport Barbecue Days (Labor Day weekend) - Truck Pull (Friday evening), Antique Tractor Pull, Parade, BBQ- noon luncheon, slo-pitch softball marathon, prince & princess contest, baby contest, pedal pull, Peavine Line Museum (Depot) open for tours.
City Offices & Facilities
- City Hall - (319) 796-2135
- Fire-First Responders - (319) 796-2132
- Stockport Public Library
Phone & Fax: (319) 796-4681
Library Director/Librarian: Evanica Brewn
Hours: Mon & Wed: 3 - 6 PM; Thurs: 9 AM - NOON
- Van Buren Middle School - (319) 796-4414
- Electric- Alliant Energy www.alliantenergy.com 800-255-4268 (800-ALLIANT)
- Telephone- Van Buren Telephone www.vbtelco.com 319-293-3187
- Cable- Starwest 319-293-6336
- Water- City of Stockport 319-796-2135
Stockport demographic information