Directory > Keosauqua > Pearson House Museum Complex
Pearson House Museum Complex
718 Dodge St.
Keosauqua, IA 52565
The fine old brick and stone house in the west part of Keosauqua, Iowa, now maintained by the Van Buren County Historical Society and known as Pearson House, was built in the period of 1845 - 1847. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Benjamin Franklin Pearson, the builder, was a skilled stonemason who had intended to build the entire house of stone, but after erecting the first story, he accepted a quantity of brick as payment on a debt so he used the brick to complete the house.
The second floor was originally one large room and was used for Methodist Church services.
The Pearson House finds its place in History as a station on the Underground Railroad, that dramatic escape route of runaway slaves from southern states. A hide-away under the floor was reached through a trap door.
Ellis School preserves its original desks and pot-belly stove. It appears ready for rural students and the teacher to ring the bell for class to start.
Moughler Log Cabin also sits on the complex and, like Ellis School, was moved to this site by the Historical Society. It is furnished for 1800's living.
Open on Sundays 1-4 p.m., and by appointment. Our volunteer staff appreciate an advance appointment to better accommodate your travel plans.