Housing in Van Buren County
Regional Housing Trust Fund
Available through an initiative of the Iowa Housing Authority and AHEAD, Inc. Programs available include:
Owner-Occupied Repair/Rehabilitation- This program is available to home owners for capital improvements, preventative or Deferred maintenance. Loan terms are determined by qualifying project...forgivable loans up to 2% APR. Download Owner-Occupied Guidelines. And Owner-Occupied Application.
- Rental Assistance- Grants are available. This is a "one-time, per year, per family" assistance with a maximum request of $500. Rent, deposits & utilities are eligible. Income guidelines do apply. Applications are now available. Contact: 319-293-3793
- New Construction- encourages development of "affordable" housing by filling financial gaps for new construction. Loan terms are determined by qualifying project...forgivable loans up to 2% APR.
- Rental Home Improvements- This program is available to improve or sustain the affordability and viability of rental units to low-income residents. Loan terms are determined by qualifying project...forgivable loans up to 2% APR.
- Demolition/Re-Development- This is to assist with providing new affordable infill lots or one-for-one replacement of dilapidated housing units.
- Urgent Repair Program- This is available to address immediate health & safety conditions for low income homeowners. Loan terms are determined by qualifying project...forgivable loans up to 2% APR.
- Special Projects- This is offered on a case-by-case basis to address emerging housing issues identified by the community. These projects do require contractor estimate(s). The contractor MUST be registered with Iowa Workforce Development, certified as a Lead-Safe Renovator and provide proof of Liability Insurance. (For a listing of contractors registered with Iowa Workforce Development, Click Here. It is your responsibility to ask your contractor for proof of liability insurance.)
If you have questions about any these programs, please contact Villages of Van Buren for details on how you can apply.
Real Estate Agencies
Local member realtors are very helpful when it comes to locating that "perfect" home for you.
Financing & Insurance
Our member Financial Institutions would also be able to assist you.
IowaHousingSearch.org, is a free resource to help you find a rental home that fits your needs and budget. Property providers can list apartments or homes for rent any time, which means the list is always current.
Van Buren County has 1 weekly newspaper which often contains available rentals.
Van Buren Register. Phone:319-293-3197 Email