Directory > Bonaparte > Bonaparte Historic Riverfront District
Bonaparte Historic Riverfront District
Bonaparte, IA 52620
Originally named Meek's Mills, and founded by William Meek in 1836, the town was officially laid out and the name was changed to Bonaparte in 1841. The Des Moines River has always played a prominent part in Bonaparte's history from steamboat travel, to water-powered mills, and the lock & dam system. Sites in Bonaparte that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places include: Aunty Green Hotel, Bonaparte Pottery, Lock & Dam System, Bonaparte School, Meeks Flour Mill/Bonaparte Retreat.