Directory > Douds > Mt. Moriah Church
Mt. Moriah Church
14889 120th St.
Douds, IA 52551
319-293-3209 / 641-936-4485
There have been three Mt. Moriah Methodist Church buildings on this same site. The first church was built on the site in the year of Iowa statehood, 1846, and was of log construction. That structure was replaced in 1867 by a brick structure which sustained heavy damage by a storm and in 1892 the present structure was built to replace it. The present structure served a Methodist congregation until 1958 when it was closed.
The church and lot were deeded to the Mt.Moriah Cemetery Assn., Inc. following closure. After years of care on a very limited budget, the Mt. Moriah Cemetery Assn. voted to deed the church, in July, 1997, to the Douds Historical Preservation Association, Inc. so total restoration of the structure could become a reality.
The country church is located 2 miles north of Douds at 14889 120th St. It is also one of the only surviving country churches in Van Buren County in near original condition located on the original site of church/cemetery combination.
Open during special events and is available for individual or group tours.